The first difference between XHTML and HTML is that XHTML can be said to be a hybrid language that bridges HTML to XML. HTML5 on the other hand is only the fifth version of the initial HTML 5. Markup representation between XHTML and HTML 5 differ and this is a very special .
Some points of difference are listed here:
- HTML 5 is a revision of HTML which means Hyper Text Markup Language
- XML means Extensible Hyper Text Markup Language
- XHTML is a bridge between HTML and XML
- XHTML and HTML 5 present different ways through which markup can be presented
- XHTML similar to HTML 4.0 but not similar to HTML 5.0
- All tags that must be opened in HTML must be closed.
- HTML 5 is less strict to its requirements on coding as opposed to XHTML
- XHTML comes with restrictions on what tags can be nested within each other and HTML 5 is not as strict on nesting.